Whether it's a 300-word snapshot of the latest research on women's health or a 1,500-word feature on the state of women in politics, I am dedicated to informing and engaging readers through accurate reporting, compelling language, and expert opinions.
Most of my writing focuses on women's issues, as informed by my master's degree in Women's and Gender Studies, but I also write more generally about health, food, parenting, family, finance, pop culture, and more. I write for both consumer magazines and trade publications, and have experience with service pieces, reported essays, profiles, and interviews. One of my specialties is turning around a front-of-book piece in rapid time.
What to Expect When Working with Me:
- Article Readability: I focus on crafting an article so clear that no one has to read a sentence twice. I grab readers' attention and make sure my piece is both comprehensive and concise, which is exactly what magazine audiences are looking for.
- Solid Expert Sources: When it comes to getting the best interviews, I always go the extra mile. Then I seamlessly integrate experts' quotes to give readers the information they need from credible sources they can trust.
- Punctuality: I have extensive experience managing multiple deadlines simultaneously. I understand that editors are ruled by strict timelines; you can depend on my assignments to be completed on schedule.
- Clean Copy: Grammar is my "thing." As an undergradate, I tutored my English-major peers in advanced grammar and punctuation, and at one time in my life I diagrammed sentences for fun (seriously!). This means editors don't waste their time cleaning up amateur mistakes.
- Professionalism: My focus is not only on engaging readers, but also on positively contributing to a magazine's business. When you work with me, you get both quality writing and a superior business experience.
Katie Markey McLaughlin, M.S.